vared -h question

Hi,

I'm trying to use vared to implement a simple read/eval/print loop:

while cmd="" && vared -p "cmd: " cmd ; do
  ## send cmd to server on host:port and print result
done

I'd like to have history work, and if I use the -h flag I can access
the shell's history, but vared does not store the history of my
entered commands into the shell history it seems.  So it's a bit
useless.  Is there any way to do what I want, ie add a line into
the history?

thanks and happy holidays,
Greg