Re: PATCH: completion caching layer

Adam Spiers wrote:

> > Shouldn't there be some way to flush the caches (in _retrieve_cache)?
> > I.e. some style that says when the caches should be rebuilt.
> >
> > This could be done either by a style with values that describe update
> > policies sensible in enough possible contexts or by using a boolean
> > style and let users use `zstyle -e' to implement their own policy (and
> > of course users could do that in the first case, too, but there may be
> > ways to make this more convenient for common cases).
>
> This sounds very nice, but I'm not sure what sort of policies you have
> in mind, and how they should be implement.  Could you give a few
> examples?

Of course, that's the problem. One that may be useful quite often
would compare the mtime of a file and re-build the cache when it has
changed.

In some cases (when using data that gets updated after regular time
intervals) wall-clock time comparison may be good (with that it would
probably be possible to sensibly cache YP data if we would need that).

However, I don't think there can ever be a complete list. Maybe we
should just give _retrieve_cache an optional argument which is
evaluated or a function name or something that gets called to test if
the cache should be re-build. We probably just need more experience...

Bye
 Sven