Re: Module system RE: 3.1.9-dev-6

> Add single parameter
>
> --enable-zsh-modules="module list"

I came to the conclusion we had come to the limit of what we could easily
do with configure:  it's extremely uncomfortable for anything complicated,
and we keep getting requests for things that configure can't do.  It's
extremely hard to upgrade; the code is spread all over, the configure
options interact, and the active code is somewhere else entirely.  It's
hard to set up:  you end up fiddling with command line options and
rerunning configure.  Furthermore, it's horrible to write in comparison
with a shell-script-based system.  So I would like to remove the module
control stuff (which has appeared in the last couple of 3.1 releases) from
configure and do it as suggested --- set up a file based on the modules
that exist, and allow the installer to edit it.

The subtext is, if people would prefer a purely configure-based system it's
unlikely to be me that gets around to writing it any time in the
foreseeable future.

Cambridge Silicon Radio, Unit 300, Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0XL, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 392070