Re: parse errors and up-line-or-history

Bart wrote:
> On Oct 17,  3:35pm, E. Jay Berkenbilt wrote:
> >
> > zsh% for in *; do echo $i; done
> > zsh: parse error near `do'
> >
> > which seems entirely reasonable.  If you then do ^p to fix it, you see
> > only
> >
> > zsh% for in *; do
> >
> > and not the whole command.
>
> Zsh used to have an option to store the command history as the literal
> input text, rather than as lexical words.  IIRC, it actually stored both
> and let you select which one to retrieve.  The duplication was resolved
> in favor of lexical history a *very* long time ago, with the side-effect
> that anything that won't lex, doesn't make it into the history.

There was originally a partial fix that the rest of the line gets read in
and stuck on the end of the history without lexing.  I haven't looked at
this for a long time, so it may be at the mercy of various flags which
abort what you're doing.  It might be possible to get it working.

Cambridge Silicon Radio, Unit 300, Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0XL, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 392070