Re: still confused about completion and matching

E. Jay Berkenbilt wrote:

> I don't think it's really true.... I've never had anything odd about
> smbclient's argument ordering.  I was going to use cvs as a model
> since it is smart enough to use cvs with some of the existing
> arguments to get the module list.  The same type of idea could be used
> do completion for share names once the server has been specified.

After a very cursory look at the (synopsis in the) smbclient manual,
I'd sayy that you probably were better of copying not too much from
_cvs. That is pretty complicated because of the sub-command handling
which doesn't seem to be needed for smbclient.

And I'd like to point you to Peter's User Guide again. It contains a
short introduction to using _arguments that might be helpful
(together, as Andrej said, with the example functions from the
distribution).

> I'll use this as incentive to get my current project finished -- my
> reward will be letting myself play with zsh completion functions. :-)
> It will probably be at least a week before I can start it.
>
> >   Also, if you could send comments (or even patches) for _arguments
> >   documentation ...
>
> You can count on it!  Once I get up to a certain level of competence
> I'd like to do a thorough cover-to-cover read of the zsh documentation
> with red pen in hand.  (I'll probably print the .yo files directly --
> easier to generate patches and make comments that way.  Besides, I've
> been considering whether to use yodl for some of my own documentation.
> This way I could find out whether I like it or not. :-]) I have
> written enough documentation to know how important it is to have a
> fresh set of eyes read it.  One eventually becomes immune to errors in
> one's own writing. :-)

Indeed. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

> I don't know when I'll get to this but
> hopefully before the next non-development release which I guess is
> supposed to be 4.0?

Yes.

For some of the things you wrote in 13052 I know or almost know the
reason, but I don't have enough time now. Maybe tomorrow...

Bye
 Sven