Re: Module dependencies issue still open

Borsenkow Andrej wrote:
> What was final decision (if any) on module dependencies problem (when
> one external module depends on another one)? There was some discussion,
> but I do not remember any solution was accepted.

No, indeed.

I still think we need to use RTLD_LAZY properly on systems that support it,
allowing us to hook in required modules from the appropriate module boot
routine.  This can be done without any change of format or introducing
incompatibilities --- except we may need to be more careful with data
symbols which need to be resolved when the module is loaded, and I haven't
investigated how much of a problem this is is.  It's possible there aren't
any inter-module dependencies of this kind (there are already some hooks
for this kind of thing built into the main module).

For the rest, I'm agnostic between burying something in the .so files (bit
hacky) or adding an extra dependency (.zd?) file (bit messy), which seem to
be the major possibilities.

CSR Ltd., Unit 300, Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0XL, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 392070

and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
prohibited.
delete the material from any computer.