Clearing RPS1: Is there a better way to do this?

I've decided I'd like the right prompt to disappear when I accept a command,
because it gets in the way when doing cut-and-paste.  So I'm fooling with
something like this:

    wipe-RPS1-and-accept-line () {
        CURSOR=$#BUFFER
        zle -R
        print -nP %E
        zle .$WIDGET
    }
    zle -N accept-line wipe-RPS1-and-accept-line

The problem is that this prevents auto-removal of suffixes when RETURN is
pressed immediately after TAB.  Also, it means re-binding every variation
of accept-line (accept-and-hold, etc.).

Othere suggestions (including Geoff jumping up and offering to implement
this in the ZLE code) would be welcome.