Re: multibyte backwarddeletechar

On Oct 21, 11:42am, Clint Adams wrote:
}
} This causes backward-delete-char to delete entire
} multibyte characters (valid in the current locale)
} rather than their component octets.

I'm a bit surprised that this wouldn't cause significant confusion in
the ZLE display code.  How did the multi-byte character get input in
the first place?  Is it displayed as occupying one character position
on the screen, or several?  If only one, doesn't the cursor end up in
the wrong place on most word- or line-oriented motions that cross it?

If we're going to support wide and/or multi-byte characters, I think we
should Do It Right, not by pasting a zillion workarounds into individual
editor functions.