Re: PATCH: _history_complete_word

Adam Spiers wrote:

> Bringing more dead topics back to life ...
>
> Adam Spiers (adam@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > Just noticed another new quirk with h-c-w now.  I have:
> >
> >   zstyle ':completion:*:descriptions' format '%B---- %d%b'
> >   zstyle ':completion:*:history-words' stop verbose
> >   zstyle ':completion:*:history-words' remove_all_dups yep
> >
> > The first time I press M-/ the message `---- history word' appears,
> > which means that I have to press it twice to get the first match,
> > which shouldn't really happen unless the `list' style is turned on.
> > How can this be fixed?
>
> This tiny nit has grown into an itch big enough I need to scratch it.
> These days I also have
>
>     zstyle ':completion:*:history-words' list false
>
> set, so I don't even get the message appearing.  This gives the
> impression of the first keystroke just being swallowed.  This is
> presumably because the
>
>   [[ $LASTWIDGET = _history-complete-* &&
>      ( -n "$compstate[old_list]" || -n $_hist_stop ) ]]
>
> condition returns false, so on the first stroke, the matches are
> generated but nothing else happens.  I'm not sure what the best
> solution is.

Please see the last discussion about this, which ended with the
patches in users/3752 and workers/13815.  First, stop has been made a
boolean style, so you want:

       zstyle ':completion:*:history-words' stop yes

Second, h-c-w now behaves normally w.r.t. menu-completion, so you have
to set the menu style if you want menu-completion-only behaviour:

       zstyle ':completion:*:history-words' menu yes

Good?

Bye
  Sven

P.S.: Including the message number of the old article would have
      helped me.

--
Sven Wischnowsky                          wischnow@xxxxxxxxx