Re: what is removing the space after completion and before "|"?

On Mar 9,  2:03am, Derek Peschel wrote:
}
} I hit tab to complete a filename, I type "|", and the space gets erased.
} Is this goverened by one of the AUTO_... options or something else?

It depends.

With default builtin completions, suffix removal is controlled by the
slightly-misnamed AUTO_REMOVE_SLASH option.

If you extend the default completions with `compctl', it depends on the
-q option having been passed to compctl.

With new completion -- when you run `compinit' from your startup files --
it depends on the definitions of the individual completion functions,
which really means it depended on the preferences of the person who
wrote the function for us.