Re: Zsh 3 and ${1+"$@"} (Was: [GNU Autoconf 2.53] testsuite.log: 126 failures)

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 12:51:23PM +0200, Akim Demaille wrote:

> | > We (Autoconf) have a big problem with Zsh 3.0.8.  You know it is
> | > shipped on Darwin as /bin/sh.  But this version does not understand
> | > ${1+"$@"} properly.  We use this instead of "$@" to work around a bug
> | > which still exists today in many many constructors' /bin/sh, so we
> | > can't departure from it.

One idea would be if you can use a global alias, e.g.:
  [ x$ZSH_VERSION != x ] && alias -g '${1:"$@"}'='$=@'

Is the ${1+"$@"} always used as a word on its own? The rhs of the alias
may have to be something different - I didn't entirely understand the
problem but you'd have the full flexibility of zsh 3.0.8 expansions so
I'd be suprised if it couldn't be made to work.

> Finally, one question: do you know if Apple plans to continue with Zsh
> 3?  Why did they stick to it?

I think they plan to switch to bash. Not that that helps you much because
Apple's running older versions of Mac OS X will continue to exist for a
while beyond that.

I don't know why they stuck with zsh 4. Perhaps all the shell functions
in zsh 4 scared them off. Solaris also continues with zsh 3 but there
it is only installed as /usr/bin/zsh.

Oliver

--

This e-mail and any attachment is for authorised use by the intended recipient(s) only.  It may contain proprietary material, confidential information and/or be subject to legal privilege.  It should not be copied, disclosed to, retained or used by, any other party.  If you are not an intended recipient then please promptly delete this e-mail and any attachment and all copies and inform the sender.  Thank you.