Re: PATCH: $PREDISPLAY/$POSTDISPLAY

Peter Stephenson wrote:

> Note the way these parameters survive across invocations of zle.  This
> was simply because it was the most natural way of writing it.  We can
> make zleread() reinitialise them if it seems preferable.

I can see that it's more powerful, but it's really rather irritating,
isn't it? Especially since you can't make them go away from the
(normal) command line. Although with well-behaved widgets...

> Hmm, it would be nice to get bits of these optionally in inverse video.
> In fact, it would be nice to get a lot of other stuff such as the region
> between point and mark in inverse video.

In any kind of mode/colour. It could also be nice if we could restrict
the allowed movement-range in recursive edits (kind of like
narrow-to-region in emacs). And then allow to display more than two
extra strings at any place (I don't have an example in mind, though).

Ultimately, this could get us to enable highlighting of command lines,
as requested several times already. But that's a whole lot more
complicated, obviously.

But it's a nice patch, Peter.

Bye
  Sven