Re: zsh - hpux 11i backspace does not work

Manish Ahluwalia wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just sent another email about a different bug to this list (sub:
> zsh - hpux 11i prompt does not work). I don't know if both my bugs are
> related. I am sending 2 emails just to avoid clutter.
>
> I use zsh on hpux. I have noticed a problem with zsh and hpux version
> 11i. I have tried zsh versions 3.0.5 and 4.0.4 with the same results.
> Both versions display the problem mentioned below on hpux 11i and both
> don't have the problem on hpux 10.20.
>
> The problem is that the backspace key does not erase characters as I
> type. Now, I am not too dumb to not know stty. The same stty settings
> work with every other shell / interactive software. The very same
> setting work fine on hpux 10.20.
>
> I will give you a sample output. In this, I will type the `a' key,
> followed by the backspace key, followed by the `b' key followed by the
> enter key. Here is a cut-paste from my terminal:
> $ a b
> zsh: command not found: b
> $ echo $TERM
> dtterm
> $ stty -a
> speed 9600 baud; line = 0;
> rows = 24; columns = 80
> min = 0; time = 0;
> intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^H; kill = ^U
> eof = ^D; eol = ^@; eol2 = ^@; swtch = ^@
> stop = ^S; start = ^Q; susp = ^Z; dsusp = ^@
> werase = ^@; lnext = ^@
> parenb -parodd cs8 -cstopb hupcl cread -clocal -loblk -crts
> -ignbrk -brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl
> -iuclc
> ixon -ixany ixoff -imaxbel -rtsxoff -ctsxon -ienqak
> isig icanon -iexten -xcase echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh
> echoctl -echoprt echoke -flusho -pendin
> opost -olcuc onlcr -ocrnl -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel -tostop
> $
>
> A similar problem is the the cursor keys don't work while editing stuff
> typed at the prompt. In the following cut-paste, I type `a' followed by
> left arrow, followed by `b' followed by enter:
> $ aba
> zsh: correct 'ba' to 'bs' [nyae]? n
> zsh: command not found: ba
> $
>
> Similar things happen with M-b. (I work in emacs editing mode).
> line kill, ^U, works fine.
>
> Any suggestions as to what could be going wrong / what I could do to
> investigate further / what information I should provide to help you
> figure what is going on?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -- Manish
> Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Forgot to add:

On the 11i box:
$ echotc kl | xd -c
On the 10.20 box:
$ echotc kl | xd -c
0000000 1b  [  D
0000003

I don't know what to do with this though.

Also, on the 11i box,
$ bindkey '\e[D'  backward-char
doesn't change the behaviour with the back arrow key described above.

-- Manish
Cogito sum.  --- I think I am.