Re: Some groundwork for Unicode in Zle

On Jan 11,  1:52pm, Peter Stephenson wrote:
}
} It seems clear that the line editor is the place most people are
} missing Unicode support, so I suggest we start from there and work
} back.

Just as a remark, if you're going to alter the line editor then you
probably have no choice but to alter the "read" builtin as well, at
least "read -k" because it's used in some user-defined widgets (and this
could get a bit ugly, as how does "read" know whether it's reading a
wide char stream or a simple byte stream?).

Keep in mind that the completion system DOES make use of nul-terminated
strings -- cf. the "bug in insert-last-word" thread, e.g. 20643.

} All the tests still pass, so I will commit this some time today.

If you haven't committed already, might I suggest doing a 4.2.2 release
first?  It's been 4 months and a lot of patches since 4.2.1, and this
is a potentially very lengthy effort to embark upon.