Bug in echotc ?

I was fooling with something related to the discussion of nopromptcr
workarounds.  I tried this:

schaefer[505] echotc cm $LINES $COLUMNS ; sleep 5; echo here
                        here

That doesn't look like column 80 to me, but I checked "man termcap" which
says (and "man terminfo" confirms):

       cm   Cursor move to row %1 and column %2 (on screen)

Nevertheless, I tried "echotc cm $COLUMNS $LINES" instead, and got what I
expected the first to have done.

Is echotc broken, or is the manual page confused?

(Using "echoti cup $LINES $COLUMNS" works correctly.)