Re: PATCH: character sets for internal zsh tests

On Apr 28, 12:41pm, Peter Stephenson wrote:
} Subject: PATCH: character sets for internal zsh tests

You mean character classes, right?

} This patch adds [[:sep:]], [[:wsep:]], [[:ident:]], [[:word:]].

I like the idea, but I wonder if we're in danger of running into
conflict with future POSIX extensions, particularly with [:word:].
It might be better to use [:_word:] or something.  However, I don't
feel strongly about this.  Ooh, another idea:  make them all-caps,
e.g. [:WORD:].

} I think the last two are OK but maybe [[:ifs:]] and [[:ifsw:]]
} or [[:ifsspace:]] would be better for the first two.

Given the recent austin-group discussion about how "separators" is
misused in "IFS" (they're really "internal field terminators") it may
in fact be better to avoid "sep".  However, unless you go with all-
caps [:IFS:] I think you should pick something that looks like a word
(in the English dictionary sense) or an abbreviation, rather than an
acronym.  Unfortunately I don't have any good suggestions just now.