Directory not recognized as directory

    Hi all :)

    In this message I will use \xNN notation for nonprintable
characters, but obviously they aren't shown this way except in the
$'' construct I use in the example. Any other instance should be
substituted on your minds with the appropriate nonprintable character
;)))))

    Using version 4.2.5:

    $ mkdir -- $'\x90'
    $ stat *
    stat: \M-^P: no such file or directory

    It's because of this:

    stat64("\x90\xB0"...)

    If instead of "90" we use "91", then the added character is "B1",
etc. This has two problems: first one is that the builtin "stat"
fails. The second is that completion doesn't work because the
offending file name is not considered a directory. OTOH, this works:

    $ print *(/)
    \x90

    I'm really confused because I expected the last command to fail
too, I assumed that any "stat64" call will have its first parameter
mangled.

    Thanks in advance :)

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

It's my PC and I'll cry if I want to...