[OSX 10.3.9] multibyte input with 4.3.2

Hello,

It has been a while since I've not been on zsh-workers but I've been
following multibyte support coming in and that's great.  I'm using zsh
4.3.2 compiled from DarwinPorts with --enable-multibyte on OSX 10.3.9.

Using LANG=en_US.UTF-8 within a Terminal.app instance with UTF-8 as default
charset, I'm trying to just type some diacritics and everything is
displayed -- and understood -- by zsh as "?".

211 [10:10] roberto@rron:~> echo ?
zsh: no matches found: ?
212 [10:18] roberto@rron:~> echo $ZSH_VERSION
4.3.2

The funny part is that 4.2.6 seems to work a bit better:

203 [10:21] roberto@rron:Application Support/TextMate> echo ??|hexdump -C
00000000  c3 a9 0a                                          |...|
00000003
204 [10:22] roberto@rron:Application Support/TextMate> echo é|hexdump -C
00000000  c3 a9 0a                                          |...|
00000003
204 [10:22] roberto@rron:Application Support/TextMate> echo $ZSH_VERSION
4.2.6

(the ?? is what appear when I type "é" in utf-8 but using the up arrow to
get the line back gives me the correct displayed character as shown above).

So, am I missing something on how is it supposed to work?  I've read the
FAQ :)

Thanks,
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- roberto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Darwin snuadh.freenix.org Kernel Version 7.9.0: Wed Mar 30 20:11:17 PST 2005