Change in FIGNORE behavior

Greetings -

In a shell built from current CVS sources, I observe the following behavior:

vshelton-pc2% ls
svn-commit.tmp~
vshelton-pc2% ls <TAB> --> svn-commit.tmp~
vshelton-pc2% FIGNORE='~'
vshelton-pc2% autoload -U compinit
vshelton-pc2% compinit -u
vshelton-pc2% ls <TAB> --> BEEP

Even though FIGNORE is set, if there are no other matches, completion
should match the backup file, right?  That's the way the shell used to
behave.  I've done a little bisecting and it appears this behavior
changed sometime between 2007-05-15 and 007-05-23.

Was the change intentional?  If so, I don't particularly like it.  Can
we have the old behavior back?

Regards,
 Vin

--