invoking a procedure to print the prompt

I need my prompt to contain one thing in one situation and another thing in another situation.

It occurs to me that a more clean and powerful way to implement a custom prompt would be via a procedure rather than via the traditional prompt string variable substitution syntax.

I can't find a way to do this in the zsh man page.

It seems to me that the only reason prompts weren't implemented using functions would have to be the historical accident that shell functions came many years later.

Dave