Re: Shared history and locales (charmap)

On 2007-12-11 14:59:33 +0100, Mikael Magnusson wrote:
> On 11/12/2007, Vincent Lefevre <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> > IMHO, there should be an option so that the history is stored and
> > retrieved in UTF-8. And if for some reason, zsh finds an invalid
> > UTF-8 sequence in the history, it should use the current charmap
> > as a fallback. In practice, this would allow zsh to continue to
> > work with old history files.
>
> I think it should insert any invalid bytes as a $'\abc' sequence.
> Just because I'm running a terminal in another locale doesn't mean
> all my files were renamed...

Well, this should be controlled by an option, and possibly shell
functions as hooks to be able to do smart recoding. The problem is
that one has basically two kinds of arguments: filenames and user
text. For user text, it sometimes makes sense to recode the argument.

BTW, due to these encoding problems, I never put non-ASCII characters
in my filenames. So, for me, this is almost only user text.