Why does colors() not use %{ %}?

Hi all,

after a somewhat embarassing email to -users, I realized colors() does
not properly escape color codes in its variables. What is the reason
for this behaviour?

I see three possible fixes, if there is interest in such a thing:

1) Change the existing functions. This _might_ break existing stuff.

2) Introduce new associative arrays with similar names.

3) Create a second function, colors_escaped(), which can be loaded
   either additionally or instead.

It is, of course, possible that there is a good reason for not escaping
the color codes. If that is the case, I would love to learn it :)

Thanks,
Richard