Re: D07multibyte.ztst failure on HP-UX 11.11

On 2009-04-30 at 09:41 +0100, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> It seemed to happen again in the reply, not that it's significant this time
> round.  I've quoted what I got, although it's possible something nearer
> this end decided on the "?"s as a fallback for something it didn't understand.

Paul's original mail was charset=unknown-8bit:

In one reply to you, where you used utf-8, his mail client also used
utf-8 and the characters came through fine; but in the reply which you
comment upon, his mail client replies with:

and it's the same version of mutt each time.  So since mutt claimed
us-ascii, I believe that means that the characters it saw fit within
us-ascii; certainly with current mutt 1.5, there's a send_charset
(described below) setting which would mean that the text received back
from the text editor no longer had the UTF-8 characters intact.

Paul, can you look at your text editor and mail client config please?  I
use vim from mutt and in the special vimrc I use for email (disables
modelines, etc) I set:
  set filetype=mail
  set fileencoding=utf-8

and in my .muttrc I set:
  set send_charset="us-ascii:utf-8"
which is the ordered list of charsets to try, until one works; this is
mutt 1.5.x though; I also set "charset" explicitly to utf-8 rather than
relying upon locale, but I forget why -- I also forget whether or not
the effective charset affects conversion for the text editor.

Ah, the joys of trying to do things Right.
-Phil