Re: have '&' automatically disown?

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 22:26:44 -0500
Greg Klanderman <gak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for your response and clarification Peter,

> > When you "setopt monitor" again *then* jobs you didn't explicitly disown
> > are reported.
>
> Really?  That's not what I see, patchlevel 1.4847.

I was probably too brief: when I said "reported", I meant "reported
interactively when their state changes".  I was assuming you were trying
to ignore jobs to the extent that if you didn't look at them again, you
wouldn't notice them, which is what turning off "monitor" should do for
you, unless I've missed something.  If you start going looking for them
you'll still find them.  I don't know if that's good enough for your
needs or not.

> It is the case that while monitor is off, 'jobs' does still list the
> jobs, however 'fg' reports "fg: no job control in this shell.".  I
> turned monitor back on and 'fg'd a job, but now neither C-z nor C-c
> will interrupt that job:

I can well believe all of this, but it's not clear to me why its
relevant.  If it means you still need job control to work continuously,
then certainly turning off "monitor" isn't an option.