Re: Proposed feature: Selectively avoid adding to history (with code)

On 23 February 2010 03:47, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Feb 22, Â6:42pm, Richard Hartmann wrote:
> }
> } Â zshaddhistory(){if [[ -n $FOO ]]; then return 1; fi}
> }
> } This allows me to modify my prompt, giving a visual clue that I am in
> } try-out mode and will not put random testing stuff into my history.
> }
> } 1) If anyone else thinks this is useful and if it should be a _function
>
> It'd be more useful if I could retroactively delete the last several
> commands from my history, because I never remember to turn this sort
> of thing on before I start testing. :-)
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "should be a _function"?
>
> } 2) If "$HIST_NO_STORE" is a good variable name
>
> Hrm. ÂThe option of that name means not to store commands that are for
> history access (and hence was a poor model for all the other "HIST_"
> options that came after it, e.g., HIST_NO_FUNCTIONS should really be
> FUNC_NO_STORE if the pattern had been properly applied).
>
> HIST_DISABLE or would probably be a better name. ÂWon't one of the side-
> effects be that you can't find those commands in the interactive history
> either? ÂI'd like stuff to remain in the interactive history but somehow
> be tagged so they're never written to $HISTFILE, which brings me to ...
>
> } 3) If this would be better handled in an option
>
> A tagging effect probably does need to be controlled by an option, as
> the alternative is a builtin you can only call from zshaddhistory() or
> some such; but I think for what you've got here, your approach is fine.

I have a widget that toggles $HISTFILE between empty and ~/.history,
and it used to work fine, but lately it's been writing some entries to
~/.history after i turn it back on that were entered while it was
empty, and i'm sure it used not to. It could be some option i've
fiddled with though, i just haven't felt like experimenting with it
yet. (of course this approach needs at least setopt incappendhistory).

--
Mikael Magnusson