Re: SourceForge CVS down for the weekend, it looks like

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010, Wayne Davison wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 8:34 PM, Bart Schaefer wrote:
>

> > http://sourceforge.net/apps/wordpress/sourceforge/2010/03/25/cvs-outage-2010-03-25/
> >

> It appears to be back now (was working for me).  See:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/wordpress/sourceforge/2010/03/27/cvs-viewvc-are-back-on-line-2010-03-27/
>
> It would be cool to switch from CVS to git (which has better
> high-availability support than CVS),

Really?

I'm a huge fan of git, but if the SF git server were to go down, how is
it any different than the SF CVS server going down?  Assuming the goal
isn't to move away from having an 'official' repository, the only
difference obvious to me is that you'd be able to work offline (i.e.
still commit changesets to be pushed later).  But, the same is true when
working off of the (unofficial?) git mirror.

I'm definitely *not* saying "Stay with CVS!".  Just curious about the
better availability justification.

--
Best,
Ben