Re: [RFC or so] Add HASH_LOOKUP option

On Aug 23,  4:09pm, Mikael Magnusson wrote:
}
} When this is unset, external commands are always resolved with a full
} path search, but still inserted into the hash for spell correction if
} those options are on.
}
} diff --git a/Src/exec.c b/Src/exec.c
} index 93d1b26..9a488fe 100644
} --- a/Src/exec.c
} +++ b/Src/exec.c
} @@ -754,7 +754,7 @@ findcmd(char *arg0, int docopy)
}  	    }
}  	    break;
}  	}
} -    if (cn) {
} +    if (cn && isset(HASHLOOKUP)) {
}  	char nn[PATH_MAX];
}
}  	if (cn->node.flags & HASHED)

I think there may be  problem with this in the event that the "hash"
command has been used to deliberately insert an entry into the hash
table.  That's a documented mechanism for overriding path search.
Also I think you've missed that execute() also uses the hash table;
did you intend that "command foo" ignores NO_HASHLOOKUP?

In looking more closely, there are a number of things about findcmd()
that look a bit fishy to me.  Correct me where I've gone wrong?

It starts (if the command is not already in the hash table and HASHCMDS
is set) by doing hashcmd(), which performs a search of only absolute
directory names in the path (not, e.g., ".", "..", or other relative
names).  That search itself seems a bit off because if *arg0 == '/'
then it's going to prepend the path component anyway. [*]

It then ignores what it got back from the search and, if arg0 contains
a '/', checks whether arg0 is executable without path traversal.  This
seems a bit sideways to me; why not do that first?  HASHDIRS, I guess?
[This disagrees with execute(), which does the directly-executable test
first.]  In any case this can return NULL, leaving the ignored results
from the previous search in the hash table, unless PATHDIRS is set.

Then, if it DID find the command either in the hashtable already or
via hashcmd() but the hashtable entry does not have the HASHED bit [**]
it performs a search of only relative directory names in the path ahead
of the previously-found absolute directory.

Finally, if all of the above failed, we do a full path search of both
relative and absolute directories again, which is redundant in the
case of HASHCMDS unless by some unlikely race condition the command
has appeared in one of the directories in the path in the meantime.

[*] And indeed, from zsh -f:

torch% hash
torch% print =/X11/xterm
zsh: /X11/xterm not found
torch% hash | grep X11
/X11/xterm=/usr/bin//X11/xterm

[**] The HASHED bit means the command was deliberately inserted into
the hash table with the "hash" builtin, rather than found by search.
In this case the both findcmd() and execute() are forced to believe
what the hash table tells them.