Re: When can we make a compromise in Git completion?

On May 6,  2:01am, Felipe Contreras wrote:
} Subject: Re: When can we make a compromise in Git completion?
}
} On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 1:37 AM, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
} > zstyle ':completion::complete:git:*:files' command ...
}
} I don't think it would be that easy.
}
} I believe every __git_.*_files has to be changed. So again, not that easy.

Then you haven't actually looked.  Nearly all __git*files are wrappers
around __git_files, and __git_files is the only [*] place where ls-files
is used, and that zstyle will swap out that call for whatever you say
should be used instead; or you can replace __git_files and interpret
directly the arguments that it's given.

Maybe __git_tree_files also needs to avoid ls-tree, but in that case
there's also

zstyle ':completion::complete:git:*:tree-files' command ...

[*] This modulo the fact that Nikolai's patch missed a couple of cases
that still want to refer to __git_files_relative, which we haven't yet
come up with a fix for.

} This has nothing to do with feelings, it's a technical issue. Either
} you are willing to make a compromise or not.
}
} You pointed to other mailing list customs earlier, well, on the linux
} kernel mailing list politeness is not a requisite,

Politeness isn't necessarily a requisite here, either, but the content
of remarks should at least move the discussion forward.  If you're not
actively helping the process, being impolite isn't going to convince
someone else to do it for you.

} code is: "talk is cheap, show me the code".

... and have you ...?

} But what I hear you saying is; "we don't want that code".
}
} It is a simple question, why can't you give a straight answer?

Because whether we want the code depends on what we see once you show
it to us.  Especially within in the completion system, functions are
provided by those who are interested enough to want to use them.  Code
can be offered as contributions and may or may not be accepted.  MOST
of the time, it is accepted, but if this isn't an interesting or useful
(to *you*) project even if we turn you down, there's not much more I
can say to you.

I personally have reached the end of giving advice on how to proceed,
at least until there's something more specific to dicuss.