Re: Documentation error

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 12:44:11 -0500
gi1242+zsh@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >>             # rebuild if cache is more than a week old
> >>             local -a oldp
> >>             oldp=( "$1"(Nmw+1) )
> >> Technically won't this rebuild the cache if it's more than TWO weeks
> >> old? "$1"(Nmw+0) seems to do one week old for me,
> >
> > It depends on what you mean by more than one week. The way it works in
> > zsh is that -, +, and no sign are disjunct sets, so mw-1, mw1, mw+1
> > don't have any overlap. mw1 is any files that are one week old, which
> > is 7-13 days, so more than that is 14 days old (two weeks).
>
> Hmm. mw+1 gave me false for a 13 day old file, and true for a 15 day old
> file. But mw+0 gave me true for all files more than a week old.
>
> Reading the comment in the ZSH man page (included above), I'd guess it
> means that the cache will be rebuilt if it's more than 7 days old.
> However, it appears to only be rebuilt if it's more than 14 days old?
>
> Perhaps the comment above (or example above) should be changed to match
> up? [I'm of course not advocating any change in ZSH behaviour.]

It does seem to violate the principle of least surprise --- the
documentation for globbing qualifiers now has a long spiel about
ignoring the fraction part of the difference in times to try to explain.
Maybe +7 (days) is better?  Of course there's still the same oddity at
the level of a day but that's a good deal easier to sweep under the
carpet.