Re: Bug in sh emulation

On Dec 10,  6:15pm, Peter Stephenson wrote:
}
} I think it's probably the set of changes around 27100 to 27109 that
} allowed MONITOR to remain on in a subshell.  In particular,
}
}     if (!isset(POSIXJOBS))
} 	opts[MONITOR] = 0;
}
} My session / process group / controlling terminal understanding is
} distinctly ropey.  Is the fix that we simply don't execute that code if
} we've already executed it, i.e. subsh is already 1 when we get there
} (see ultra-ultra-tentative patch --- we set subsh to 1 just after that)?
} That fixes the problem, but that may be simply because we don't execute
} the code that fails.  But what should actually happen if we have a
} subshell of a subshell, i.e. a nested "( ... )"?  And what should the
} group leader be set to at this point after a second fork?

With the caveat that it's been a really long time since I (a) studied
this or (b) did any real work that relied on it ... two factors are at
work here.

(1) There's no limit on the number of process groups you can have.  A
process group is an organizational unit for signal delivery, so that
a whole set of processes can get the same signal at [conceptually] the
same time.  Any process can declare itself to be the leader of its own
process group; any process which does not do so is part of the process
group of its parent (which may actually be the process group of its
grandparent, etc.).

(2) A TTY device can only be attached to one process group at a time.
A process can take control of a TTY if no other process already has
and if it is able to open a file descriptor on that TTY; but once some
process controls it, only the leader of that process group can "give
away" control of the TTY to some other process group.  If another
process group tries to "take" the TTY, it gets a TTOU signal (unless
that's been disabled in the TTY driver); it can ignore that signal,
but it can't grab the terminal.

Exactly how "give away" happens is a little goofy.  Wikipedia says
that usual shell behavior is for both the parent and the child to try
to set the tty process group to the child when that is the desired
effect, to avoid a race condition [the parent isn't allowed to give
away the tty after the child has called exec(), for security].  It
appears only a direct child can inherit the tty, not a grandchild,
which may be the issue in our current dilemma.

http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~almeroth/classes/W99.276/assignment1/signals.html#Pgrps

Thus control of the terminal can be passed down an arbitrary number
of subshell levels, but only if each ancestor hands it off before the
descendant attempts to do the same.  I have forgotten what happens to
control of the TTY if the group leader exits before its descendants,
but I don't think that's an issue here?

Given that the reason for associating a TTY with a process group is
so that signals from the TTY will be delivered to all the descendants
of the group leader, it's very likely the case that if attachtty() is
not able to succeed, then we didn't want to create a new process group
[declare a new group leader] in the first place -- UNLESS the job IS
being run asynchronously (not true here) so that it is intended NOT to
get signals from the TTY.