Re: Regarding emulate: a thought, and refresh my memory?

2012-03-06 22:38:06 -0800, Bart Schaefer:
> On Mar 6,  8:22pm, Stephane Chazelas wrote:
> } Subject: Re: Regarding emulate: a thought, and refresh my memory?
> }
> } 2012-03-06 20:06:52 +0000, Peter Stephenson:
> } [...]
> } > Can't see why not.  I often do "emulate -L zsh; setopt extendedglob
> } > cbases", it would be sensible to put that in one command.
> } [...]
> }
> } What about special parameters like:
> }
> } zsh_options=(noshwordsplit noposixstrings...)
> }
> } emulate -L $zsh_options extendedglob
>
> Yes, that's the idea, just not the precise formulation.
>
> The first word (that doesn't begin with a hyphen) seen by "emulate" has
> to be the name of the emulation mode.  So, based on PWS's feedback I've
> just committed 30320, which enables for example this:
>
>     zsh_options=(noshwordsplit noposixstrings ...)
>
>     emulate -L zsh --$^zsh_options --extendedglob
>
> Hmm, I should probably add a bit of doc to the description of the -c
> flag pointing out that only the emulation mode is sticky, not the full
> set of options one might throw in.
>
> Unless PWS, who knows more about how the sticky emulation works than
> I do, has a clever idea about that?
[...]

Sorry, I realise I wrote the opposite of what I meant.

What I meant was that instead of introducing a  cumbersome
confusing syntax, We could get rid of "emulate" (yes the
contrary of what I actually wrote) and do it with setopt.

Instead of "emulate zsh", do "setopt $zsh_options", and instead of
"emulate -L zsh", "setopt localoptions $zsh_options", where
$zsh_options is a special parameters that contains the option
settings needed to /emulate/ zsh.

What do you think?
--
Stephane