Re: One-command mail import with X-Seq: and ChangeLog (was: Re: Access to CVS)

On 7 April 2013 21:07, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The one thing I'm finding missing from both places is a discussion of
> how to perform a simple one-file (well, two, counting ChangeLog) push
> directly from a clone of the master.  Can I --amend a commit without
> having a branch, or must I wait even to commit until I've edited the
> ChangeLog?

After you clone, your master is already a branch, so you can do
whatever you want with it. origin/master is the one that's tracking
the state of the repository you cloned from (by default called
origin). "one-file push" is a bit strange, but yes, you can commit
stuff to your master branch, amend them, and then push. What you can't
do, is amend a commit that is already reachable from origin/master,
iow, only amend commits you haven't pushed yet.

git clone git://zsh/blabla zsh; cd zsh
# hack hack hack
git add myfiles; git commit -m 'informative message'
git push

Is the thing you're asking for? There is no need to create an extra
local branch for this.

> Or is creating a branch THE way, and I should ignore all
> the discussion of branching for "a feature" and just create a branch
> that's always there and use it repeatedly whenver I edit?

This is what your 'master' branch is for :).

--
Mikael Magnusson