Re: [bug] history corrupt on utf8

On 23 June 2013 20:33, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Jun 22, 2013 7:07 PM, "Mikael Magnusson" <mikachu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> The history file isn't saved verbatim, since the command line can
>> contain non-utf8, nuls, etc.
>
> To be more specific, the history file is saved in the same format used to
> represent history lines internally, except for prefixing newlines with
> backslash.  The file is only "corrupted" if zsh itself can't re-read it.
> We gave up on sharing history files with other shells a long time ago.

If you want, you can use this small program to "uncorrupt" it
(obviously don't overwrite the history file with the result),

#define Meta ((char) 0x83)

#define _GNU_SOURCE
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

/* from zsh utils.c */
char *unmetafy(char *s, int *len)
{
  char *p, *t;

  for (p = s; *p && *p != Meta; p++);
  for (t = p; (*t = *p++);)
    if (*t++ == Meta)
      t[-1] = *p++ ^ 32;
  if (len)
    *len = t - s;
  return s;
}

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
  char *line = NULL;
  size_t size;

  while (getline(&line, &size, stdin) != -1) {
    unmetafy(line, NULL);
    printf("%s", line);
  }

  if (line) free(line);