Re: modify functions hierarchy (was: Install run-help and *.zwc files system wide in build system)

On Nov 20,  7:26pm, Peter Stephenson wrote:
} Subject: Re: modify functions hierarchy (was: Install run-help and *.zwc f
}
} On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 13:01:18 -0800
} Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
} > I'm looking at, for example, Doc/Makefile.in "install.info" which
} > creates a local directory named "infodir" where it builds tzsh.texi
} > and then installs into the target location and removes infodir again
} > when it's finished.  Why is generating helfiles from the pre-built
} > manual pages different than this?
}
} OK, is this good enough?

Er, this patch doesn't actually have anything to do with generating the
helpfiles ... this is creating run-help and _run-help ...

I meant to reply to "... that means using an ad-hoc sed function ..."
back on Monday but didn't have time right then and never got back to it.
So now I feel a bit as though I'm making new mountains out of molehills.
Anyway ...

This patch is basically what I was thinking of, though it still seems
like overkill to put the entire tree of functions through the sed when
we know there are exactly two files (BTW your patch missed _run-help)
that are going to be affected.

E.g. "make install.info" applies the sed specifically to zsh.texi as
part of the makefile rule.  (On further examination I see this is only
to support AC_ARG_PROGRAM transformations from autoconf, which is not
exactly what I thought was going on, so the parallel may not be as
close as I previously thought.)

Nevertheless I what I was going to say on Monday and didn't get around
to, was:  run-help and _run-help should still get created by configure
(which I admit begs the question of where the .in files go) and then
the paths written by configure should be updated during the install
step, which implies using another file generated from a .in, which
implies rule code in Makefile.in rather than installfns.sh.

However, I'm now getting as tired of this as everyone else, so I am
fine with leaving this part as it unless/until I personally get time
to try to work out something else.