Re: Anybody know what's going on here in _expand? Patch?

> then I propose the following patch, which adds the seemingly missing
> backreference parens as well as putting quote chars in the class.

I believe the lack of the backreference paren is definitely a bug.

I guess the reason that this seemingly-rather-serious bug has not
been noticed so far is:

match[1] is set at lines 90-91 (where the pattern has a correct
pair of back-reference parentheses), and its value is NOT rest at
line 106 (where there are no back-reference parentheses).
The value is re-used at line 107, and in many (or all?) cases the
value is correct (a single space for most of the cases).