Re: PATCH: complete Debian architectures in common function

Hi Oliver,

On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 01:17:44AM +0200, Oliver Kiddle wrote:
> Quite a few of the Debian completions need to complete the Debian
> architectures. This factors that out into _deb_architectures.

Indeed. Thanks!

A few thoughts:

> +_description architectures expl 'architecture'
> +compadd "$@" "$expl[@]" alpha amd64 arm64 armel armhf hppa hurd-i386 i386 ia64 \
> +    kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386 m68k mips mipsel powerpc powerpcspe ppc64 \
> +    ppc64el s390x sh4 sparc sparc64 x32 ${=extra[2]}

I wonder how much sense it may make to use the output of
"dpkg-architecture -L" as values.

While it would make the list always being uptodate, it would not work
on systems where dpkg-dev is not installed, especially not on
non-debianoid systems. And the list contains way more fictional (i.e.
potential future) architectures (> 400) than really existing
architectures.

OTOH I don't miss much in the above list and a hardcoded list is
surely faster than depending on some command's output.

From a first glance the no more supported s390 and lpia (the latter
was Ubuntu-only) and the never taken off avr32 are missing, but then
again omitting no more existing architectures may be on purpose.

A potential compromise would be using "dpkg-architecture -L | fgrep -v
-- -" plus the three non-linux architectures listed above.

The output of the command (without the three non-linux architectures
added) gives us:

alpha
amd64
arm
arm64
armeb
armel
armhf
avr32
hppa
i386
ia64
m32r
m68k
mips
mips64
mips64el
mipsel
mipsn32
mipsn32el
or1k
powerpc
powerpcel
powerpcspe
ppc64
ppc64el
s390
s390x
sh3
sh3eb
sh4
sh4eb
sparc
sparc64
x32

Then again even the full list doesn't include the architecture
"illumos-amd64" as used on http://apt.osdyson.org/dists/lacaille/main/.
(Dyson is a project which tries port Debian onto the Illumos kernel.
The project even maintains a derivative of Debian's zsh package at
http://cgit.osdyson.org/zsh.git/! :-)

So maybe we should just merge the list above into the hardcoded one by
Oliver, maybe omitting some no more existing architectures and adding
illumos-amd64.

		Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | abe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html | abe@xxxxxxxxx (Mail+Jabber)