Re: first adventures

On Oct 26,  8:48pm, Ray Andrews wrote:
}
} I see, so the raw string never exists.  I'd never contemplate doing it
} that way, but I suppose there's a reason for it.

It probably makes more sense if you consider that every character typed
has to be analyzed to invoke an editor function (or be cached as part of
a multi-character sequence that will eventually invoke an editor function).
In fact the "self-insert" widget is what adds a character to the input
buffer, so really there are no characters that aren't editor functions.

} So now I see the command there. What is this 'bangchar' you mention?

The first character of $histchars, normally '!', which resolves what
follows it to a history substitution, is called bangchar in the C code.