Re: Zsh bugfixes released by RedHat

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 06, 2014 at 12:47:17PM -0800, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Nov 6,  9:15pm, Axel Beckert wrote:
> } > Technically they are supposed to offer the patch to us, although zsh's
> } > license is not as clingy that way as the GNU license for example.
> }
> } JFTR: The GNU General Public License does not require that any
> } modification made to software under the GNU GPL is sent back to the
> } _author_ of the software.
>
> Right, I was being too non-specific when I used the word "us". I meant
> they should offer the patch to anyone to whom they offer the binary.

Ah, ok. Yes.

> But they're also not required to make it *easy* to get the patch ...

*g*

> And also thanks to the Debian and other distribution folks who watch
> this list and voluntarily send us back the diffs for bugs they find,

You're welcome. :-)

> rather than making us dig them out of a package manager bundle.

From our (Debian's zsh packaging team) point of view, it makes the
package maintenance easier as we don't have to keep track of many
patches, and if so, we can at least drop most of them with the next
zsh release: http://sources.debian.net/src/zsh/5.0.7-3/debian/patches/

		Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | abe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html | abe@xxxxxxxxx (Mail+Jabber)