Re: PATCH: default vi-mode key bindings

On Dec 5, 2014, at 12:46 PM, Ray Andrews <rayandrews@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ok, but is any of that actually used at the command line?

"The command line" doesn't dictate what keys ought to be used to move about and edit text.

> Does anyone need/use 'command mode' when typing a simple command?
>
>    $ grep "The falcon cannot hear the falconer;" /Yeats/*
>
> What would one do with command mode there?

Edit the command in a way that one is comfortable with? Not everyone likes Emacs keybindings.

> Editing a novel, of course, but a command line?  Or does this mean that zsh somehow butts itself right in to vi so that when editing a novel, 'vi-style' as set by zsh is somehow active?  Is that polite?

I'm pretty sure one has to enable vi mode explicitly. Then, I presume one has a command mode and an insert mode, as expected.

> And then there's vim mode too but that's different from vi mode?  I'm missing something fundamental here.

There is no vim mode; that was Bart musing. The issue is whether zsh should cater to people who know vim but not vi.

vq