Re: PATCH: Make yank zle params writable

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 6:43 AM, Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Since these were added without much discussion, it seems a bit silly to
> add yet another interface (zle -f yank) to set them, so just make them
> writable.

I've thought about this some more, and I'm not sure which route to go,
wrt YANK_ACTIVE. It might be better to implement the zle -f interface
after all, if we find we do want to set other flags. If we had
YANK_ACTIVE writable then, we'd have two different interfaces for
setting different bits of the same variable, which might be even more
silly. I think I shall go the route of implementing zle -f
yank(before/after)/kill (I haven't seen evidence of others being
useful yet), and applying this patch (plus later amendments), apart
from the writable part of YANK_ACTIVE. It seems nobody else has strong
opinions about this, but sorry for going back and forth so much about
it :).

It probably also makes more sense to have a separate thing to set the
flag than to read it, since you're reading what the flag was before
entering this widget, but setting what it will be after it finishes.

--
Mikael Magnusson