Re: Is this a deadlock waiting to happen?

On 14 Nov 2015 22:47, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ray wrote:
>
>     body_list=( ${(@f)"$( highlight $filename )"} ) 2>&1 | read _err
>
> I was surprised to find that both $body_list and $_err are set in the
> current shell.

There is a very longstanding set of cases where the fork happens in execcmd()  rather than up in execpline(), at the point where it would fork before an exec. I presume this is one of those. Then prefork()  substitutions are done first. I don't have the code with me but I think it's fairly tortuous (surprise).

pws