question about saving history and error reporting

Hi Zsh Workers,

My disk filled up recently and I noticed that although Zsh was not
able to write to the history file, it did not print any error
messages. I see lines like this in the source code:

hist.c:2921

        zerr("failed to write history file %s: %e", fn, errno);

Do I have to do something special to have these errors printed to my
terminal? I notice that it prints the messages if I do "chmod u-w
~/.zsh_history" and start a subshell and log out, but since I have
inc_append_history set, I think I should see the errors more often...

Thanks,

Frederick