Re: Using GitHub

Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov (ZyX) wrote on Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 20:22:49 +0300:

> 24.12.2015, 02:13, "Bart Schaefer" <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > On Dec 23, 12:04pm, Lewis, Eric wrote:
> > }
> > } What are the development team's thoughts about adopting a tool like GitHub
> > } for issue/bug tracking?
> >
> > Something along the lines of "Git off my lawn, ya whippersnapper" seems
> > pretty likely.
> >
> > More seriously: We tried using the tracker on SourceForge and it didn't
> > really work -- it wasn't well-monitored or kept up to date. Adding yet
> > another source of bug reports, conversations to monitor, and updates to
> > record, is not appealing, nor at this point is that something I have
> > much time to attend to.
>
> Problem may be that this is bug tracker on sourceforge: sourceforge is
> not popular nowadays. Also have a look at how Bram did: they have an
> issue tracker on github which posts to vim-dev, with a mailing daemon
> which posts back in case of replies. So users that got used to GH have
> their issue tracker, and users got used to mailing list get issues
> too. Though, of course, this makes GH issue tracker secondary because
> issues posted to vim-dev do not appear there.

I think that's more or less what we'll want, too: a place to record bugs
in, without additional process or overhead.

E.g., all conversation continues to happen on-list; developers can close
issues from within their existing workflow (email and commit messages);
but we gain a place to record known-but-not-yet-fixed bugs.

Come to think of it, even just creating a BUGS file at the root of the
source tree and recording known issues in it would be an improvement
over having nothing at all.

Cheers,

Daniel