Adding (compiling) a module to already build Zsh

Hello,
on IRC someone asked how to "add gdbm". I wonder if the module can be
easily added to already installed Zsh, if it's not already bundled?
There should be something like Linux kernel-headers-*.(deb,rpm,etc.),
however, I think gdbm and pcre add linkage to additional libraries to
the Zsh binary itself. I guess there will be more obstacles, but who
knows, maybe it's possible? It would be then possible to do following:
bundle module source together with plugin (yeah, the current state of
art Oh-My-Zsh plugin architecture's) and build the module at first
load of the plugin.

Best regards,
Sebastian Gniazdowski