Re: Shift-Insert overwrites ZLE CUTBUFFER

On Nov 17,  5:53pm, Oliver Kiddle wrote:
} Subject: Re: Shift-Insert overwrites ZLE CUTBUFFER
}
} On 10 Nov, Bart wrote:
} > emacs.  So yes, emacs does have a whole suite of register operations,
} > none of which are present in zsh (which in fairness was based on a
}
} Would it be useful to add some of those operations given that it
} might share much of the existing code that's there for vi (given a
} few compromises)?

It'd probably suffice to create widget aliases giving the existing
vi widgets the corresponding emacs names, except special cases that
you have already noted.

} Coming back to the original point of this thread, would it make
} sense to instead put the bracketed-paste text in a register?

I don't have a strong opinion here.  As noted, if this were a real
GUI-aware emacs, the act of *copying* the text would have set the
cutbuffer, so it makes sense to me to put it there on the paste
action (the first real chance we have to sync up with the global
clipboard state).  It's more that people aren't used to having a
copy-paste affect their shell that way that is causing an issue,
than the logic of the operation (I think, someone will probably
contradict me).

I'm not going to respond in detail to your musings about emacs
register operations; my only thought is that we're supposed to be
maintaining a shell here, not re-implementing several editors.