Re: [doc] "sh_word_split nothing to do with word splitting"?

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 10:26 AM, Stephane Chazelas
<stephane.chazelas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So, how about this new take at it? Renders (in info) as:
>
> SH_WORD_SPLIT (-y) <K> <S>
>      Causes $IFS field splitting to be performed on unquoted parameter
>      expansions in addition to command substitutions.  Note that

This is OK, I just keep thinking there should be a reference back to
the shell grammar; field splitting applies to anything identified in
the grammar by the token WORD provided that the WORD is not quoted.
Arithmetic expressions are treated as if double-quoted.  That's really
all there is to it.

Of course we don't formally spell out the grammer for the basic cases,
instead describing it in prose in the first few paragraphs under
"simple commands" ... and the "general comments on syntax" direct one
to *this* entry, so I suppose the detail is in fact needed here.