Perhaps update the man page for $HISTFILE:

HISTFILE
    The file to save the history in when an interactive shell exits.  If
    unset, the history is not saved.

    Do not export this parameter, as doing so may cause other shells to
    corrupt the history file.

Thanks Roman,

Perette

On 2020-07-29 10:39, Roman Perepelitsa wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 at 16:33, Perette Barella <perette@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:perette@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Research on Google suggests the 'corrupt history file' problem is rare.
    In my experience, it is not

Are you perchance exporting HISTFILE? You shouldn’t.

Roman.

--
Perette Barella • 176 Middlesex Road, Rochester NY 14610 • 585-317-3013
"Once we realize that imperfect understanding is the human condition there is no shame in being wrong, only in failing to correct our mistakes." -- George Soros