Re: Rewrite of zsh-newuser-install

On 14 Feb 2021, at 02:12, Marlon Richert <marlon.richert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> No, I completely disagree here. I don’t think anybody wants the
> questionnaire. It’s extremely cumbersome to use.

Despite the title of the thread, i didn't actually expect that large of a
change to zsh-newuser-install itself. I know from comments i've seen on-line
that many people find the wizard overwhelming, but i don't have any evidence
that specifically points to '[nobody] wants the questionnaire'. I'm fine with
getting rid of it if the others want to, i just don't know myself.

There are also some moving parts we haven't really even discussed, like how
these changes will affect packagers. Are we going to get rid of the
recommended-zshrc mechanism (option 2) that is used by Debian &al.? Or is this
config going to co-exist with it? Or are we going to unify them somehow?

Should we consult with some down-stream maintainers on this? I argued before
that the config is not going to be very useful if it does less than what
down-stream are doing already, but it's also not going to be useful if the
maintainers just override it with skel or whatever because they don't like it.

As for what's currently in the rewritten script... i wonder if it's really
even necessary to ask every new user where they want to put their shell files.
I don't have any evidence, but it seems like a high burden (having to read and
answer the questions) compared to the amount of people who are actually going
to feel strongly about it.

dana