Re: Completion script for the ctags program

At 16:08 -0600 03 Mar 2021, Jacob Gelbman <gelbman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Just I don’t think it should add all the options that it could be because it would make the output too long to read. I can’t think of another command that has options like this,

One example would be ack (AKA ack-grep) which also has options for quite a few programming languages. Although in its case there isn't any common prefix for the options to turn on a language; it's just options like `ack --python`. It also supports options like `ack --nopython` to disable languages.

The completion for that *does* include all of those options. Yes, all of that does make it quite verbose, but that can also be the case even without that type of dynamic option names (I'm mainly thinking of curl here). I still think that having the completion options actually usable as-is is still better than requiring the user to edit the completion results. It would likely be even better in this case if the language portion could be treated more as the argument to an option, and so the language list would only be presented after the prefix was already selected.

But I'd also say that even a completion script which generates those options in need of editing would still be an improvement over nothing.