Re: Does add-zle-hook-widget violate the contract of ZLE hook widgets?

On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 6:14 AM Marlon Richert <marlon.richert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I included those changes intentionally:
> 1. In the section ZLE > Hook Widgets of the HTML version of the
> manual, I want to include a link to User Contrib > Manipulating Hook
> Functions.

Typically the way to do this would be to include a link to User
Contrib within text that says something like 'see Manipulating Hook
Functions in noderef(...)'.

> 2. To create a link, I need to use a `noderef`.
> 3. To be able to use `noderef`, I need a `texinode` to link to.
> 4. Manipulating Hook Functions doesn't have a `texinode`, so I need to add one.

You don't NEED to, you just happen to want to.  Which is not a bad
thing, but no consensus was reached about the best way to do so.

> 5. When I add a `texinode`, `make install.info` fails to compile if
> there isn't a `menu` in the same page that links to it.

That's not really what's going on.  There doesn't have to be a menu,
but a texinode can't stand by itself, it has to be linked into the
hierarchy of nodes in the document, which means that not only does it
need to reference other nodes, but other nodes need to be updated to
reference it.

> 6. Hence, I need to update the menu structure of User Contrib.

Per our previous discussion ... you chose to restructure things to
have a menu.  I had only pointed out that the new section you at first
created didn't have introductory text after the manner of similar
sections elsewhere.  Nobody weighed in on preference for either one.
There are less radical changes that could be made than restructuring,
and if restructuring is the right thing, it could be done in a
separate patch.